The emotional and physical safety of clients is the most important factor to our staff at New Vision Wilderness
At the national level there are wilderness programs that have distorted the reputation of wilderness based intervention. NVW does not support a boot camp or break them down philosophy.
We offer a "build them up" philosophy focusing on their strengths and encouraging growth in those areas. We utilize both adventure education and psychotherapy to create the change in clients and do not solely rely on a physical challenge regimen as the catalyst for positive change. NVW deemphasizes the behavioral level system, favoring instead, a relational focused treatment plan.
Comfort Zone Expansion
Safety Comes First
NVW takes both physical and emotional safety seriously and enforces strict guidelines to protect our clientele. We require that Wilderness First Responder staff are present and available in the field while clients are present. In addition, our Trauma Informed Care model provides clinical trauma training to the entire staff to effectively manage stress in the field. (learn more on Trauma Informed Care)
Other safety measures include:
- Intensive intake and screening process
- Pre- and post-program client reviews
- Single sex programming and individual client tents
- Staff communication via high-powered communication radios
- Community connection via multiple cell phone access sites
- Emergency transportation via access to an All-Terrain Vehicle and Snowmobile